Welcome!!

I started this blog as a place to put the "mommy stuff" that just doesn't fit over on my other blog.

I became a first time mom at the age of 43 so this blog is written from *gasp* an older mom's perspective.

I love being a mom to the funniest little girl on the planet (check out the scroll over to the right ---> for some of her gems!) and I hope you enjoy reading about our adventures together!

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Fragment Sunday? Not quite the same ring to it!

Acceptance - ability to be with people, situations and things without the need to force, change or alter them.


Ahh the conclusion of Acceptance Week! Thank goodness! Now I can get back to cajoling, forcing and having things MY WAY. 


Just kidding! A little bit. 


I never want to be the kind of mom who brow beats her child into submission but once in a while would it be too much to ask for privacy in the bathroom, toys actually in toy bins and the delightful melody of a "Yes mom" when I ask for something??? Ahhh "perchance to dream" ... ok the first part of that quote is "to sleep" and we all know how little of that Mom's get not to mention that Hamlet was actually talking about death so I suppose it is time to move on to other topics!


Welcome to my Sunday version of Friday Fragments!
Mommy's Idea
Brought to us by Mrs. 4444 over at Half Past Kissin' Time. Pop on over to visit some other great Fragmenty stuff... don't worry that you are two days late. She is nice and will still let you in!


I just thought I smelled breakfast... pancakes, bacon the works. This wouldn't necessarily be an odd thing since my Sweetie is known for making weekend breakfast feasts but he isn't even here today! He is off on a little business trip so that smell MUST be coming  from a neighbor or it is a first indication of the dementia I expect at some point in my life.  


Perhaps I could ask to join said neighbor for the meal? There is a precedent for my doing so. My mom likes to tell the story how I at about age 4, took my three year old sister in tow, and showed up at a neighbor's house at O'dark thirty in the morning asking for breakfast. "My mommy isn't up and I am hungry. Can we have some food." was my greeting!


This all reminds me of my new dilema. The Girl has figured out that she can move a stool over and release the top lock of the front door. I was talking with one of my mommy friends about it and she said something like "You just have to teach her that she can't go out." Yes, that seems logical enough but quite frankly when Sweets is smack dab in the middle of one of her "I have a great idea!"s a lot of her general knowledge and judgement are not available to her. She can get so focused on her "missions" that even shouts do little to slow her down. What if I am sleeping and do not wake to the sound of moving furniture? Perhaps this is less likely then I think but when I do get to sleep I do it rather soundly. She does as well so for the moment I think escape attempts will be limited to daylight hours but in any case, what do you think we should do? Door alarm? More talking about consequences?  I'm all for love and trust but at this point she is three and I don't think she can be trusted. I certainly wasn't trust worthy at her age.


Over at the Everyday Bliss blog I generally start out each week with some initiatives pertaining to the weekly topic . I didn't do that here. I just put the topic at the top of the page and let the week happen. Following as much as possible the Earl Nightingale adage "You become what you think about,"  I wanted to see what might happen if I approach the whole thing much more casually. I've decided that this approach might be too casual but I haven't yet figured out exactly what I want to do. I'm thinking along the lines of finding/coming up with a child game to reinforce the virtue and/or some kind of specific parenting activity for all of us to try. What do you think? Any other ideas? I'm giving myself a few more weeks to ruminate on this and would love to hear your thoughts!


I will end the week with a great big thank you to all of the people visiting and even following (I am honored and hope you continue to find something you like here!) it has been a great first week of my new Everyday Game.  


Next Post: Empowerment week begins!




My Thirteen Virtues of Great Parenting are:
Fun, Discipline, Creativity, Love, Wonder, Listening, Curiosity,
Compassion, Trust, Acceptance, Empowerment, Humility and Flexibility

This week is all about Acceptance. Next week we tackle Empowerment.

9 comments:

  1. Since my children are almost grown, I'm not so much looking to become a marvelous parent (not even looking to become a parent, thank you very much). But I do enjoy watching others parent. So here I am . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace thank you so very much for stopping by!

    To my other blog readers... Grace's blog is hilarious! You should totally check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy! As one of my earliest followers and supporters, I want to point people your way this week. I just wanted to give you a heads up that I'm going to do that.

    I think there is always room for improvement in parenting aspects. This is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As for your daughter, I suggest moving the lock even further up.

    Sorry-I can't speak to the Everyday Bliss question, since I've been too busy to keep up. Hopefully, now that it's summer, I'll be able to get with the program :)

    I love your little breakfast invitation story--Adorable :)

    Better late than never!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! The lock she can now open is already at the top of the door jam. We are going with a door alarm. The culprit stool has been moved to the garage as well!

    Thank you so much for stopping by again! It is really nice having some comments over on this new blog.

    I tend to wrap up my weeks on Saturday or Sunday so a Fragment theme really works for me... thanks for welcoming me even though I am a late comer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much! Your party looks like a lot of fun. I've already linked up and put your button in my sidebar!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there! I am here from MBC! I really look forward to reading your blog! You have a new follower! Come visit me at Mama's Little Chick.

    Mama Hen
    www.mamaslittlechick.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. am stopping by from MBC. I love ur blog & i am sure following u & I hope u do too as its fun making nee bloggy friends
    http://beingzaraandzidan.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Psst. Come see what I had to say about you today...

    http://therealpoopsie.blogspot.com/2010/06/lets-talk-about-blog-ba-bee.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you "very so much" (the construct I stole from my 3 year old!) for your comments! I reply to every comment. I will ALWAYS reply over here on the blog so if you haven't heard from directly please do check back here. If you become a Disqus member you will be automatically updated via email as well!